The other distinctly Minnesota saying is, "Fertle girl killed in Climax by boy looking for Moorehead". iFertile, Climax, and Moorehead are not far from each other and the saying is actually a paraphrase of a newspaper headline.

Highway 61 cut through our farm on dad's side with I35 later cutting through the other side. Mom's side lived off 61 just south of Duluth and one took it to get to the rest of her family on The Range/Arrowhead border.

Minnesota is actually fairly well situated for hunting with great hunting for ruffed grouse, woodcock, deer, black bear, and decent pheasant and goose hunting on public land. Ducks aren't what they used to be but it has its moments. Minnesota is pretty well located for travel as one can reach most other game in a day's drive or less.

Fishing is pretty good though I do not do as much as I used to do. Fill a few bags with crappie and walleye fillets to give as gifts and catch a couple trout or salmon for personal use is most of my fishing these days though I'll drown some night crawlers on the river to catch carp, catfish, suckers, sturgeon, smallmouth bass, sheepshead, walleyes, or whatever decides to bite.

Minnesota doesn't have much for elevation but it's landscape has plenty of farm land and woods with some prairie. Not to forget the many lakes and other waterways. It could use more prairie and swamps but the emphasis on farming eliminated much of those areas. Politically, it may not be the most conservative but that is changing in the outstate though it is more due to what is defined as Conservative than actual mindset. Other than the Twin Cities and Duluth, most of the state is not as Progressive as it appears. The problem is like most states, there aren't enough people outstate to counter those in the cities.