Twist rate may have come into play in the 243 tests, but the buckshot I was using seemed softer than the stuff I had cast, and some of the stuff I had sized from other buckshot. The twist rates for the 22 cals that shot well are slow, now that I think about it, 1:12 and 1:14. The 30 cals were shot from 1:10 and 1:14 guns. The harder-cast balls shot better than those that seemed softer, and seemed to handle being pushed a little harder. I cast them out of a bullet scrap alloy and dropped them into a bucket. There was a velocity that each seemed to shoot best, and then a velocity at which accuracy fell apart, which I judged to be past the limits of the alloys. They were acceptably accurate to 50 yds, which was a group about 2 inches for three shots, I think. The ones that shot the best to about 75 were out of the slower-twist guns in 44 and 45 cal.

The targets I used started at 50 yards, and then went to 70, and then 75, and then I tried 100 and no shots would hit paper at all, so I moved it in to 85, then 80, then back to 75. There seemed to be a range where the shots lost stability altogether, and a range just before that were some would be stable, and hit to POA, and some would not.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.