I had been thinking of posting a similar reply but you beat me to it.

What a lot of younger shooters don't realize is that in the 50's and 60's, when that type of mount was popular, a good scope cost as much as the rifle did. So having to only buy one scope for use on multiple rifles had a great deal of appeal. I have owned a couple of pre-64 Winchester with those mounts and they performed perfectly. Pull the scope from one rifle, put it on the other and go kill stuff - no need to worry about adjusting the zero every time. Also no need to worry about scope tracking since the adjustments are part of the mount and are external.
The downside of those mounts is that they were fairly heavy compared to the lightweight mounts that are now available.

Here is a link for anyone who isn't familiar with that type of mount - http://www.bauschandlombscopemounts.freeservers.com/scopes.htm

I that a similar mount made by Stith with a Stith Bearcub 4X scope, and I also seem to recall mount made by Echo.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.