Originally Posted by Orion2000
Gents, I appreciate all of the input....

@lastround - the Varget load matches the Nosler data. Will probably start there.

@Magnum_Bob - Yes, sometimes less cost (and easier) to just buy a case and be done. However, I have everything already on hand to get him started, except possibly, the bullets. So, no out-of-pocket costs... I have done what you stated with Nosler trophy grade and Federal blue box for the .270 Win, even though I have a lifetime supply of reloading components.

The nephew is a smart lad. Picks up quick. I try to introduce something new each time his Grandpa (my BIL) brings him down to shoot. Yesterday was intro to (awareness of) shooting in the wind (gusts at 10-15mph from 3 o'clock). Figure we will start on reloading in the next month or so. Goal would be to have him shoot his next deer this fall with a round that he rolled himself.

@Antelope - Appreciate the post. Surprised at the differences in max loads and velocities between QL (?) and Hodgdon website. eg: Varget and H4895. Not sure where the difference would come from other than Interlock vs Accubond bullet construction ?

@lhead - Appreciate the RL26 load. Have several pounds of RL26 on hand. Will queue that up to compare with Varget.

Thank you !

Interlock vs. Accubond matters a lot. Difference in bearing surface. Additionally QL's using default values for things like case capacity. Different brass can with different capacities makes a huge difference.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell