For starters you are probably aware with a second focal plane the spacing and subsequent moa spacing will change with magnification. 14X will have the tightest spacing and most likely with a 257 Roy any lesser magnification will be useless. You can figure out the zeros for the stadia will do at various distances on 14X.

The issue is when you go to use it for a long shot in dim light. Can't see the animal and if you lower the magnification you cannot use the stadia! I know I did exactly that with a Swarovski Z6 2.5-15 x 44. After that debacle I began to acquire FFP or fixed power scopes mostly SWFA as they are dependable and affordable.

I suggest you go for the highest POI at 100 you can work with. At least with that setup you can use any magnification.

Another approach is to get a reasonably priced SWFA SS FFP 3.5-15 x 42 or for quite a bit more money the SWFA HD FFP 5-20 X 50. Either one will have useful mil stadia at any magnification or you can depend on the turrets to work. Heck the fixed 10X is only $299 and is also dependable turreted scope.Comes with MOA or Mil stadia.

My 257 had that Swarovski now has the 5-20 x 50 and is setup for a zero at 400 yds. 3.1" high at 100, apogee 5.2" at 225. It is used for coues wt which rarely give you a shot less than 300-350 yds. I would only use the stadia for a shot around 225 by aiming with first stadia ABOVE the crosshair which is .5 mil making it a zero'ed shot. For shots 450 or more I could use stadia or for more precise hits the turret.

There are many ways to resolve the issue. what works for my LR coues wt hunting may not be for you.

Last edited by Azshooter; 07/14/20.