This is always an interesting concept for me because I’m a lefty and by all indications, as an adult, right-eye dominate; I’ve always read that doesn’t turn out well. I started in earnest like most as a kid with a BB gun, then a pellet gun, and then a .22 with open sights and never had any problems that I can remember anyway..which is a different issue altogether. Nor did I have any formal training or mentoring of any kind.

I was always a both-eyes-wide-open type and became a fairly good game shot with rifles and some friends would say, a very good wing shot with a shotgun. In the 90’s, I had one of the first radial kerototomies but that was in the middle of adulthood and changed nothing shooting-wise other than getting me a decade free of any corrective lenses. It was well worth it though I’m back to spec’s again.

As to upland, wing shooting which is 99.5% of my shotgun experience — I’ve never had the opportunity to partake in any of the formal clay shooting sports — I’ve always been a snap shooter, never having found myself tracking a bird, or swinging with it so to speak; but rather, always just shooting to a point.

I can only speculate that as the barrel(s) come up under my left eye, my brain, after thousands (I’m just shy of septuagenarian + 1 status) of that exercise, concedes the matter and accepts “that picture.”