I’ve stated this before,and it was labeled idiotic,but Doug’s man from Burris told me to use 100% acetone nail polish remover,and a q-tip.Of course this was not for dried mud or similar particles on the lens,but for different substances that found their way to the lens and dried on the coating,causing abnormalities in the view through the scope.Stuff that water wouldn’t cut and lift in a cleaning.He said it was exactly what was used in the repair shop at the factory,and to avoid getting any on the seals,and any rubber contacting the lens.He suggested I try this before I went to the trouble of sending the scope back to Burris for a warranty claim.It took care of the problem,and since then I’ve used it on all my scopes.And now they all look like they did when they were first took out of the box,after they were purchased.
I’ve got some older,cheap scopes that,on a whim,I went a step further with.After cleaning the lens with the acetone.I took a small soft cloth with a tiny amount of Turtle wax,and worked a layer of it into the lens.It seemed to help with some light scratches left on the lens from wiping with a shirt tail while in the field,and definitely helps while using it in the rain.I would never use it on a newer,more expensive scope.But it seemed to help some old Bushnells and Weavers that are due to be replaced anyway...