Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by JPro
I unloaded my gun room not long ago for some cleaning and my wife and kids were looking at the pile of rifles that a man "needs" to be a deer hunter in these parts. They just don't understand....

I had to do some re organizing a couple of days ago, put most of my rifles in gun cases. Impressive even to me actually. The wife says why would you need more than 20 hunting rifles (she doesn't know about the ones in the attic or the garage), I acted like I didn't hear her. She probably figured I am getting deaf in my old age. Hah!

Playing deaf....I'll remember that!

My dad took to hiding guns. I'd stop by, and he'd smile conspiratorially, and ask if I wanted to see his new rifle. Next he'd be taking me into the dry storage room downstairs, or in a storage closet. Upstairs, behind boxes. He'd tell me not to tell his wife (my step-mother). He didn't need to hide them, which made it all the funnier. She saw the bank and card statements. She always saw it as an excuse to do her own "secret" shopping. After he passed, we had lots of good laughs over it. He would never own up to buying some guns, and others he would spend a lot of breath selling her on why "they" "needed" them. He was sure a character.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.