I’m not a lineman but I work amongst them at an electric COOP. I don’t know about contract work, we have a full time crew and do most everything ourselves. But working for the COOP is a pretty gravy gig. I don’t know if they’re all the way mine is but I suspect that there’s some similarities.

The linemen are on call all the time in case of storms or what not, fairly rare that they’re called out but possible. They also have some leniency with showing up when you’re called, they usually only need a few guys and understand if you don’t have a babysitter or had a six pack while mowing the yard on Saturday afternoon. That’s the “bad”.

The good is that they have good equipment that the certs and maintenance are kept up on. Nice trucks they’re assigned. All clothing and safety gear is supplied. Pretty good amount of vacation time that grows the longer you’re there. Excellent healthcare insurance. Retire in 30 with a pension plus your 401k they’ll match to %13. They’re also probably in the top %5 in the area for hourly wages.

I work for the actual COOP but I’ve talked with guys who work for the power companies that are members of the COOP and they’re pay and benefits are close if not a little better than ours.