I find it interesting that we use a base 60 system for time...........

yet for distance we start with a base 12 system (the foot)...............then for longer measurements we use yards (Base 3?) and multiples thereof..............until we reach miles, then we're on a decimal (Base 10) system of sorts as in our mileposts are in miles and tenths.

But sometimes we want other measurements like inches and fractions thereof...............unless you're using an engineering ruler or tape, then that's in 10ths too. and then as someone mentioned, there's machining................lets make something 3.0015 or three and fifteen thousandths inches, (basically as I understand it mixing a base 12 and a base 10 system)

Weights are cool too. Pounds and ounces (base 16?). Unless you're a reloader, then you use grains and tenths thereof. Unless you need 7001 grains, then you go back to using pounds for the major increment.

Measures??? WTF teaspoons and fractions , then tablespoons, then cups and fractions of them (dry or liquid??), pints, quarts, gallons, bushels, pecks, pinches, dashes, sprinkles, whatever...............

Man, that "English" system sure sound smart to me. crazy

Have seen some posts complaining about our French compatriots having come up with the dumb metric system and that being enough reason to want to avoid it. Well, it seems I heard somewhere some Frenchy came up with the first workable smokeless powder and most of us here really like that stuff (Digital Dan, Kaywoodie, Birdy, and a few others of us still like Lord Black though). Couple of French dudes came up with the design and built Lady Liberty, and I'd say the majority of us approve of that gal, no? And what about some French words most of us manly types enjoy.............Derriere..............Decolletage.......

Let us not forget croissants and eclairs too...................I love them things! ( I like English muffins too, but give me a choice of one or and eclair and it's no contest)

I bought some Euro " Gerry Cans" a few years back...............Not hard for me to figure out the 20L ones are basically 5 gal................Looking at them I can't tell the difference................and they work and don't have silly spill proof spouts and scheidt to go on them.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?