Originally Posted by ar15a292f
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by Craigster
This oldie crossed my radar awhile back and was hard to pass up since I'm a devout .405 fan. Doubt there's many of these around, how many bolt guns have any of you seen chambered for .405 Winchester ?

Checkering is flawless,bluing is beyond excellent however with the 26 " bbl & large action its a tad hefty !

Lots of history goes with the MK 14 action in its military or sporting config , think I'll hang on to this prize !

They were built after WW1 from "leftover" US M1917 pieces/parts. Never heard of an MK 14 action.

Pattern 14 not Mk 14 is what I was referencing ..

Correct. Pattern 14 and I'll submit NOT a 1917 if for one other reason the P-14s were in 303 British (a rimmed cartridge as in the 405) and the 17s were in 3006, meaning an entirely different feed rails, follower configuration.

That was my original thought after extensive research on the Brit chambered 303 action vs the 17,,The empire had to enlist US companies to fill their void so Winchester,Remington and Eddystone picked up the slack producing the Pattern 14 { MK-1 W}...{MK-1 R} &{ MK-1 E}.variants...All tooling for US companies was owned and provided for by the Brits..

I believe that the US government purchased the tooling from England when the US entered the war and needed more rifle. The US companies would probably have kept the tooling that made the Pattern 14 303 caliber specific parts, after things were converted to the M1917 30-06 model. The 405 Winchester and the 303 British have basically the same rim diameter, so it was probably not to difficult to modify a P14 action to 405 Winchester.

I agree, the Brit loan of tooling was actually for production between wars from the info I've gathered..good point

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody