BillyGoatGruff;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope the weather's not too, too hot for you folks and this finds you all well on the first day of August.

As my fellow BCer greydog mentioned, there's been a very big influx of cash from the Asian market here which initially was folks fleeing the Chinese communist takeover of Hong Kong, but then morphed into something else entirely.

Initially it artificially inflated housing prices in the Greater Vancouver/Lower Mainland area and it should be noted that effect remains despite some legislation to curb it.

The issue of course is too many folks are greedy to get rich today and have no thought as to what the long term ramifications of their actions will be. Not that such behavior is novel by any stretch, however it certainly is now not only close to home for me, but effects me directly as we've got kids living there.

As well, I'd be overstating it to say many of the established vineyards and wineries near us have recently been sold to Chinese multi millionaires, but it isn't only one or two either.

We know a few folks in the wine industry - we live in the middle of several vineyards and well known wineries. One of them was purchased by a chap from there to whom the cost of things isn't a barrier shall we say.

That said, there was a project done south of us that was another where there wasn't much concern over how much anything was costing.

Here's a link to have a look at what the building looks like....

https://phantomcreekestates.com/2020/05/28/chapter-1-legacy/

While I hope you're wrong that this will bite us, I am skeptical that it won't. Like all actions and decisions, time and history will be our judge.

All the best to you all as we navigate through the hot weather and fire season.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"