Okay, im a little late to the thread...
In my 30s and 40s, hunting with old obsolete rifles was "my thing". I got my first buck with a Win 86 in 45-90 (I really regret selling that gun), i have an elk and deer with a Win 76 in 45-75, an elk and bear with a Win 95 in 405, another elk with a Win 95 in 30 Army (aka 30-40), a deer in college with a 1920s Win 94 in 32WS, and the Ranching for Wildlife deer i shared here years ago with the Sav 99 in 300 (hardly old or obsolete to this crowd). There have been others that just accompanied me as i walked through the woods, successful in experience, but not a harvest.

I still occasionally take the 76 and 95s out if weather and travel conditions permit but find myself treating them with kid gloves and primarily using other odd but not necessarily obsolete rifles to hunt with.

My family still uses the 99s, in fact my wife chose one for her USAFA buck license this year. My oldest son is completely enamored for some reason with the 11.15X42R Werndl (from 1868) and says he wants to hunt with it some day...some day.

To GeneB, gorgeous Kennedy in the perfect caliber.

Last edited by Centennial; 08/26/20.