Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Paul39
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Mkopmani
I have three X1000 6-24x X 50mm MOA scopes with illuminated reticle, love them. I had bought the first before they announced, the other two afterwards. All from Cabelas. Can't find a scope this good for this price range, quality piece. I'd but a 4th one and set it on the shelf if I could find one, but have not been able to locate one, just the MRAD which I don't want. Nikon will still support warranty and service, just getting out of market as I understand it, investment vs return.

Not a money move... it is virtue signaling.

It may well be virtue signaling, but it is calculated to increase sales and profits by appealing to a certain segment of consumers.

I hope they are wrong.

Paul

sorry, I cannot agree. Conflating blood sports and cameras is a net-loss issue. Anyone likely to hinge a camera buying decision on an unrelated issue is more likely to have already investigated the companies. And camera sales are weak with all the cell phones out there...

It is not really virtue signaling, per se. They were losing money with riflescopes because the competition got better and they didn't. They are also losing money with cameras, but that's a core business that they are loathe to give up. They may have to eventually, but not yet.

They always hated everything to do with guns, but riflescope was where they could get some profit with minimal investment: they did not manufacture or design any of their own scopes for quite a long time, so they just slapped their name on stock OEM products and marketed them. Many other people do the same thing, but Nikon had too much overhead to survive.

ILya