I've been using my inReach for two years now; has worked flawlessly and I'm carrying it even on day hikes now too

Besides the obvious SOS messaging, when combined with your phone (and the Earthmate app- still free I believe) you have a fully functioning gps, you can two way text (made easier by the Earthmate app- you simply do it through your phone)

You have two flat tires in a day, and only one spare- send a text to your wife (or buddy or tire shop if need be) and let them know where you're at; you kill a big bull and want help packing it out- text your buddies to bring their packs and where

I've used it several times because I had to alter my route and needed picked up elsewhere- send a text, my wife texted me back "where is that trailhead?", sent another text explaining exactly how to get to it

You can use the tracking feature (selecting the interval of pings) and folks at home can watch your progress from their phones or computer; if you don't check in because something bad has happened- SAR has your last known location

I could go on, but I don't leave home without mine