Originally Posted by ddixie884
I worked up a short ladder with Herco and 158gr cast. 5.4 to 6gr in .38spl cases. I got 3lbs of Herco from Grafs on sale for $19.99 per lb and was trying to get that 1Kfps or a little more. Speer #11 and Hornady #II list 5.9 to 6.1gr loads with 158gr. This Herco is not the new cleaner type and I am getting lube and carbon residue. I fired these in a LCRX and though strong they were not painful. All empty cases ejected with gentle thumb pressure and gave no pressure signs even though I was using Rem #1 1/2 primers which are known to have soft cups. I regard 5.4 to be +P and I don't intend to go above 6gr. I would not hesitate to use these loads in my LCRX or S&W M15-3 for HD, SD or carry. I did not use an overly firm crimp as I was just trying to get a feel for this powder but will try a more aggressive crimp in the future to see if that will clean it up a little. I don't recommend these loads and they are above recent book maximums so use caution if you decide to play...........

Tell me, smallfry what is your load if I may ask?

2 loads, HS-6 and 2400. Will sling a 158 cast @1050 out a 2.25” SP101 (a 38 special only SP101). Huge fan of the 38 special but loading them up hot isn’t something I do much. It would be interesting to pressure test these loads however, I have my doubts they are far off from a max pressure +p. I doubt most +p is loaded to +p. It’s just a hunch but being that we are quite the litigiousness society I doubt it.