Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by glockdoofus
Elmer couldn't shoot.

Doubt that.

Ross Seyfried personally told me he watched Elmer whack a porcupine at 60 yds using one hand off the back of a horse.

Elmer was wrong about much but the old feller most likely could put bullets on target.

Although I met Elmer Keith once many, many years ago, I never saw him shoot, But, I used to know an elderly man here in Idaho (now deceased) who was a fantastic shot, rifles, handguns, and shotguns, excellent hunter, outdoorsman, gun collector with a fantastic collection, great gunsmith, and historian, who knew Keith well and often fished with him. I was talking with him once about Keith's shooting skills with handguns.

He told me that Keith was an excellent shot. He was fishing for Steelhead once with Keith when they saw a large hawk coursing over the stream about 40 yards away. Keith immediately drew his S&W revolver, a .44 (Mag or Special, he did not remember) and fired one shot, killing the flying hawk. This was before hawks, etc., were protected. Keith did not like hawks, etc. That was what I'd call pretty good shooting for holding a revolver in one hand and a fishing pole in the other.

That's a personal story.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)