IA few months ago I bought a Miroku made Winchester Deluxe Mod. 71 from a friend who owned the rifle. I had the gun smith shorten the barrel to 22", add a full length magazine tube, remove rebounding hammer and drill two holes on top of the receiver for XS rear peep and XS front with white stripe. Also added 3/4 inch black Pachmayer Sporting Clay's recoil pad on it and a black Montana sling. I also had the smith turn it into a .348 Ackley Improved and waiting on dies from Whidden.

What my limited research told me is between Winchester originals,Winchester and Browning remakes the Browning was the best because of no rebounding hammer or safety. My new Winchester has the sliding tang safety. Fortunately I can live with it as it's not as ugly and obnoxious looking to me as the side button safeties on some Mod. 94 and Marlin rifles. Which I always have removed.

If you can find a Browning and want a Mod. 71 then have at it. I am very happy with my Deluxe Winchester version. Good looking walnut and well done checkering and the rich deep bluing makes it look wonderful, it is the "fanciest" rifle I own. I am thinking about having some engraving done to it this winter. I already know which grandson I will leave the rifle to.

Get the rifle you want and have lots of fun with it!