Originally Posted by yukon254
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Originally Posted by yukon254
Originally Posted by Adk_BackCountry
The hard cast is an option, but I have no field experience with these. I have a box of Cast Performance in 420 gr. but again, everything is theoretical. Looking for some field instances if any?
At 1900 fps starting point I don't think the A frame's would expand much at any threatening range in time? Would like to start at 400 grain at least. Before anyone tells me to use a 12 gauge slug, my choice is already the guide-gun, why?, because I already have it.

I use a 350 grain hardcast from an NOE ranchndog style mold in my 45/70. Never used it on bear, but I have used a 300 grain hardcast in my 444 marlin, again from an NOE ranchndog style mold in a couple of DLP situations with grizzly. Performance is about as good as it gets in my book. You will have two holes, that I can promise you.

What velocity are you using with those 300s?

Right at 2000 fps. The 444 is an under appreciated cartridge. In my experience it will do anything the 45/70 will do with less recoil, and it shoots flatter.

I agree. I had a fairly light taper Marlin TK .30-30 rebored and find I get .45-70-like performance in a handier rifle. I've used a 300gr WFN on deer and now have some A-Frames to try. I may just go back to the cast bullets since there was nothing wrong with the wound channels I was getting with those.

I've had three or four Marlin .45-70s before. I like what they do on game, but found the bulk of the forearms and barrels unnecessary for my purposes. The 1895CBA with the 18" octagon barrel looks to have some potential but the one I handled in a store was rough and the wood was gappy. In the end I'm pleased with my .444