Originally Posted by KC
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Just honest questions.

I do have several bags, all quality bags. I never took the road of buying average gear. I took the time to ask questions from guys doing what I wanted to do. I opted to listen to the advice from experienced guys. I worked extra jobs and saved up to afford it.

MCH:

Your buying strategy is the best way to buy expensive outdoor gear, maybe the best for buying anything. Maybe I am a slow learner, because I have repeated the same mistake many times with many different types of gear. I have multiples of all the most popular kinds of outdoor gear. I use only the best gear now because I have learned first hand why it's the best. But if you borrow gear from me, you will get the gear that I bought initially. smirk

I guess that old adage is true; The cheaper your gear is, the tougher you have to be.

KC

My first time hiking Mount Whitney I was in the Corps stationed in Tustin. My buddy a Marine as well decided he was going to go too. I offered him a few gear items but he insisted on using his ALICE Pack, Canteens, Sleeping bag, and issued boots. On the long boring drive from MCAS Tustin to Bishop he busted my balls about buying expensive gear and not using my issued USMC gear. At Outpost camp I was the one doing the laughing. A few weekends after that we did Mount Baldy and he had all new gear!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.