I've owned many different types of boots over the years. Far and away, the best boots I have ever owned are the USA made Thorogood 1957 Series, model 804-3898. These boots have a steel safety toe, but you'd never know it - they are not heavy at all. I use them for everything.

I find these Thorogood, moc-toed, Goodyear welted work boots to be far more comfortable and durable than many of the dedicated hunting or hiking-type boots and I believe they provide more protection and last longer. I've yet to have any leakage with the boot either. They are also within your budget.

Another slightly cheaper, made in USA boot is the Red Wing 608, which is also a well-made boot that I like; however, Red Wing puts their horrible "Super Sole" on these boots, which are comfortable enough, but they're extremely soft, don't have much traction and don't last long at all. I replaced these mediocre Super Soles twice before I wised up and had Red Wing put Vibram soles on them the last time I sent them in to Red Wing to be re-soled.

Last edited by High_Noon; 09/15/20.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue