Originally Posted by shootsacreed
I would love to know where the first and followup shots hit the elk. Secondly pass through shots are not necessarily a requisite for ample blood trails. Inquiring minds would like to know!

We didnt gut it so I didnt see first hand evidence but based off of the entrance wounds all of the shots were within the vitals. The first shot was a bit high but might have caught the heart, the others were all lung shots due to his orientation. First shot put him down but he got back up and I shot him again and the second kept him down but he was clearly attempting to stand back up so I shot at least one more time and again it was a lung shot. Without seeing the internals, I think the first shot was lethal and he would have died but I dont know for sure. I would think if he would have ran more than the step or two he took between shot 1 and 2 there probably would have been blood but I just typically would think a pass through would produce more blood.

Again, the bullet did what it was supposed to by killing an elk so Im probably over thinking it.