I am really confused....starting to feel like I’ve begun to forget what I thought I once knew.

For those that have read my recent posts you know I’m working on a load for my son’s .300 Win Mag.

We bought 100 brand new Hornady brass and all have been fired once now. In an effort to make his brass last as long as possible and potentially produce marginally more accurate ammunition I decided to set his die up to PFLR. I have the old Stoney Point headspace tool and my comparator body and measured a few cases and got a “base to datum line” measurement of 4.276” (this isn’t absolute as I don’t zero the calipers), so knew that to get a .002-.003 bump my new base to datum line measurement would need to be 4.273-4.274”

As I set out to do this I screwed my die out from the cam over setting to FLR and started sizing. The brass elongated to 4.280+\- pretty quick and stayed there for most of the adjustment.....right up to the end. When I finally got down to where it was supposed to be my die was camming over significantly...in essence what appeared to be FLRing.

Out of curiosity I decided to see what one of the cases that measured 4.280” would do in the chamber and in my opinion it had the nice snug fit I’m actually looking for.

I know that it can’t be right....no way I elongated it .004 and have it fit.

What am I missing? What did I do wrong?