Originally Posted by DonFischer
It's sad to know that decisions coming from the Supreme Court are often based on political leanings rather than law!

The result of activist judges on the federal courts.

Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by DonFischer
It's sad to know that decisions coming from the Supreme Court are often based on political leanings rather than law!

Their decisions should have absolutely nothing to do with "law" either.

Laws are legislated.

The Constitution was written, adopted and ratified by all states of the Union to limit the powers of federal gov't.

The Constitution is the only document the SC should be concerned with. Ever.

Not legislation. Not partisanship. But 100% US Constitution.

The reason we need constitutionalist judges in the federal courts. You can't predict the future but you can anticipate the future and make plans to deal with various scenarios. Some might call this conspiring. I would like to see Trump nominate a replacement tomorrow and have the senate vote by October 1. After Trump wins the election, if Republicans keep control of the Senate, I would like to see him propose increasing the number of justices to 15. He could then place six more justices on the Supreme Court in his next term. There would be ten constitutionalist justices, four activist judges and Roberts. I don't think an effort to increase the number of justices beyond that would gain traction because, as others have said, the court would be too unwieldy. At that point it would take a long time to change the balance of the court.