Originally Posted by JMR40
I don't think Winchester has ever made a true magnum action. The really long cartridges like 375 and 300 H&H are on modified long actions. There is more metal machined away from the front action ring to get the extra room in the loading/ejection port. The magazine has to be modified as well. They will take different scope mounts since the spacing on the scope mounting holes are closer together on the front ring.

But I won't swear this is right. It's been a long time since I actually held one in of the H&H magnums and only a couple at that and I could be mis-remembering.

I don't believe the above photo is accurate. The Short Magnums are exactly the same as a short action. The stock and scope mounts from my 308 and 300 WSM were interchangeable. I know I'm not mis-remembering that. The magazine follower and feed lips were different on the WSM. But the action screw spacing is the same as a short action. That is not what the above photo is showing.

Not exactly right, but you already knew that. The picture above is of the pre 64 model 70 receivers. Also, there is more cut out of the receiver than just the front. They also cut out a section of the rear receiver to allow for better loading of the long H&H cartridges. Here's a better picture. You'll also notice the front screw spacing is .860", while the rear screw spacing is closer (.435"):
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I also wanted to add that the OP didn't specify whether he's asking about the pre 64 or post 64....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA