Originally Posted by Jevyod
Originally Posted by HadsDad
What rifles have you looked at? Also, what are the top three features that you are looking for in a rifle? As to the 6.5 on elk, I'll leave that to others. My friend shot a bison 6 times with a .264 win mag before using my 30/06 to finish the job. If you aren't planning on taking potshots at an animal from the next county over why not just use a .308? It is available in pretty much every rifle made, and will put an elk down just fine out to about 500 yards.

1. Manageable recoil
2. Price
3. 400 yd capability

Was looking at the Mauser M18. Is in my price range, if they had it in 280 I would be all over that. I am not opposed to a 270 either...just like to shoot less common chamberings. But that is neither here nor there.
In that price range you might also check out the Weatherby Vanguard series 2 rifles. I have one in 7mm-08 that was like $650 out the door with a Vortex scope. I would use that to 400 yards no problem. I'm not trying to talk you out of a 6.5 whatever. I love my Swede and it kills FAR above it's paper ballistics. Heck, a Swede or even a Creedmore would work if you aren't going past 400.

I would rate them:

1. .270 gets #1 just because I have killed a bunch of elk with one.
2. 6.5 Creedmore
3. 7mm-08

All three would work. Ammo availability is great for all three and they all have reasonable recoil, although the .270 is noticeably stiffer than the other two. At least in my experience.

Last edited by HadsDad; 09/23/20. Reason: Spelling

Why is abbreviate such a long word