Originally Posted by wabigoon
It's thawing in the sink. How would you folks do it?

Cube it into 1-1.5" cubes, roll it in a little flour add salt and pepper and sear it with some oil (just a little crust). Transfer it to a bowl, add;

1/4 cup tomato paste
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons dried herbs, any combination of thyme, oregano and rosemary

Then into a foil pouch- (in a pyrex dish, there will be leaks!) and tightly wrap in two layers and into a cold oven set it for 250 and braise for 4 hours. Remove it, drain it and let it cool then into the fridge overnight. The next day build your stew, as the meat heats that fat that liquefied then solidified will expand and create meat that just falls apart nicely and is really tender. Be sure and save the braise liquid. Cool it, remove the fat layer and add it to your stew. Lotta flavor there.

I've used this technique with everything from game to short ribs and while it does at least take day ahead planning it's worth it! I've also done the meat when I had time and a week later pulled it from the fridge and made the stew. By really just reheating the meat on the stew stage it also allows the veggies to not get overcooked.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated