Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
There is a befuddling amount of diet information "out there." It is nigh impossible to find diet information that doesn't have a large body of conflicting information. I have come to believe that our bodies are all substantially different in the way they process intake. So much so that there isn't a one-size-fits-all solution. OP, if this seems to be working for you, roll with it. Ride it out for a while then consult with your doctor. Your doctor will likely want to run some labs on you to see how things are going.

Best wishes brother.

I agree. I lost about 25lbs earlier in the year eating pretty close to keto or call it very low carb (meat, fish, eggs, fat and green vegetables all I wanted) and practicing "intermittent fasting" which for me was a fancy way of saying hold off on breakfast until noon and don't eat after 8 pm. Shed weight crazy fast which really wasn't my goal.....I was not in a hurry but that is how it went.

The theory with the "intermittent fasting" as I understand it is that every time you eat your body has an insulin response. When insulin is present, the body is signaled to store fat. When its low, it is signaled to use its fat for energy.....ie "burn it". If you eat all the time, your insulin is always high so you never lose fat. With this plan your insulin settles down after supper, stays low all night and until noon the next day. Best part is you are asleep for 8 of the 16 hours you don't eat. People tell me I lost the weight because I cut calories but I am not sure. I ate heartily at lunch and supper and would not be surprised if I made up for my typical oatmeal breakfast calorie wise. That is what made it easy for me.....I could enjoy my meals, count carbs but not calories, and not be restricted to tweety bird sized portions. Plus, the low carb diet does not raise insulin as much as a normal diet so you they work together.

In the last few months I have added back some "good carbs" like sweet potato and purple hull peas and I have a snack between lunch and supper if hungry......usually some almonds. My weight has remained stable where it is which is what I wanted. I try to stay somewhere under 100 grams of carbs a day.

But back to your point people are different. My best pal just plain does not like to eat like I do. His brother is the same way. They fill up on what I would consider an appetizer or a snack! laugh I doubt that they would ever get fat regardless of what macros they ate.

Last edited by RJY66; 09/25/20.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn