Originally Posted by cwh2
My definition of "warm" is probably different than most, but here's what I did. It was probably 70 during the day (aka hotter than hell). My rush was to get the wife and kid back to camp before midnight, as we had a bit of ground to cover.

Get guts out, get big muscles exposed, as has been mentioned. Tie out or prop up, or do what you have to do to ensure maximum airflow. If you're solo, best get up early the next day, as you have got a lot of work to do. This one was only about a mile "from the truck". As you start taking parts off, make sure they continue get as much air as possible and stay as cool/dry as possible.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

That's what I did. On a big bull moose, skin the neck back too if possible. I didn't and the meat was a little greenish (and still warm) by morning, but still OK... just not as good as it could have been. Live and learn.

With more time before dark, I section it up and get the pieces up off the ground on deadfalls or a log rack, preferably at least 100 yards from the gut pile. Packing it out can wait for the next day.

And you want to come back to it hot chambered...... smile

Last edited by las; 09/25/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.