Originally Posted by OldHat
Anyone recommend a good field pant. Something that is tough and waterproof at least in the lower legs.

One option, already mentioned by others, that I just pulled back out are some black gaiters.

I really like the design. You might too.
They are made of Cordura nylon.
They have a liner.
Bottom rounded hooks to the boot laces.
It straps around the calf all the way to the knee.
Velcro closure option for snow and wet grass. Durable enough for brush.

They might last a lifetime.

I like the design because If it gets too warm during a summer hike, they're easy to put on and remove to stow in the pack. This option allows more flexibility than my dedicated brush pants which I also like.

The cotton brush pants with nylon up the thighs have good coverage, but not intended for water. They'll dry from the morning dew, but not for rainy days. They might(?) be a candidate for the wax/oil skin treatment.

This is my main decision.

If I need something for rain and moderate abrasion in woods or fields, the wax/oilskin works well.

If I need highest abrasion protection and don't want to snag my good hunting clothes or field jackets, I will opt for the abrasion resistant Cordura. When I get around to it and get my machine set up for the industrial nylon thread, I plan to make hunting field wear that should allow getting around briar patches without getting hung up so much and shredding.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 09/25/20.