The Leatherslap become foolishness, with guys using "open front" holsters, which were just a shelf upon which the gun sat. It woiuld fall out of the rig if you coughed. The starting position for the hands. was "obvious hand distance", which is still used in Fast Draw SA revolver blank and wax shooting to this day. Jeff wanted the surrender hand start and a secure holster for IPSC matches, so we set up such restrictions. Bill french tried one hand point shooting for 8 years straight on the leatherslap finally put 5 hits together, for an average time of .57, and SWPL retired the leatherslap, saying nobody was ever going to beat that. I had Bob Arganbright make me an open front rig for my 1911 and had no problems at all averaging in the low .50' second times, going to the Weaver and low .40's with one hand points. The latter are very easy to hit with, using an open front rig and the "hovering" hand-start position. But SWPL killed off the match, and the rig instilled bad habits, like not pulling up on the gun, which is necessary for any concealable, secured rig. So I abandoned the open front.rig