When I first got into reenacting maybe eight years back I bought a bunch of stuff.

A common reenactorism are these maybe 9” square little iron Hibachi-looking things on legs with a grill on top, they run efficiently on charcoal.

In actuality I’ve never used mine for that, never used it at a re-enactment on account of my schtick at such things is to only bring what I can walk in in one trip, early 19th century backpacking.

This past week I got to messing around with it just to light it up after dark. Bought some mesquite charcoal for the scent and a bag of Match Light charcoal lighter-infused charcoal.

The Match Light charcoal worked, but reeked of charcoal lighter fluid for a good while, so did the bag sitting on my porch.

I picked up a packet of 12 Croglan’s Fire Sticks at Academy today. Just one stick burned like a champ and ignited the charcoal just fine. No discernible chemical odor.

A discrete box of kitchen matches or lighter, and some unobtrusive fire sticks (crypto-farb 😉) and ill be all set for my next encampment.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744