Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Might also comment that the photo Mr. Redgwell posted may appear as if I'm somewhat over-dressed for pronghorn hunting. But Montana's antelope rifle season starts relatively late compared to many other states, which for some reason open as early as late August. (Have hunted in them....) I killed that buck--the largest-horned of any in the local area--early in the morning of October 25th. It froze that night.

This has happened fairly frequently during our rifle season. One year in he late 80s about a foot of snow (very wet) fell in our then-usual pronghorn area. We ended up hunting in hip-boots, because all the dry "cricks" were running up to more than a foot deep. That was also when we were both younger and tougher, and backpacked into badlands, cutting antelope in half after gutting them, then lashing them to packframes.

The one in the photo was game-carted out.

MT Pronghorn opener 2008 was a knee-deep wet heavy snow blizzard. Had friends hunting between Circle and Jordan on opener that sat for 2 days waiting for plows to open up even main roads. We hunted a week later further south and you didn't dare leave a main road lest the gumbo leave you stranded.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.