I use the Hornady 170 grain FP in my M94 Winchester, with 3031. It seems to be the most accurate combo in my rifle and is, of course, very effective on the deer and bear around here. This rifle has proven time and time again that in its element, it's a very good choice.

I also had a Ruger 77/44 for a while and used a 300 grain LBT Hardcast in it. Penetration was more than adequate and the effect on deer was about the same as any rifle I've used chambered in rounds such as a .243 through the .45-70 loaded with both heavy hardcast and 300 grain HPs going as fast as 2200 fps.

After the smoke cleared, I thought the .30-30 load to be about as optimized as I could get it, the .44 would probably be as effective with a 240 grain jacketed or a 250 grain LBT, and the .45-70 was much more pleasant to shoot with a 300 grain JHP at 1800-1900 fps and had no loss of apparent effectiveness.

Lotsa luck on your run-up to the season. I hope that the .30-30 finally convinces you that it is indeed worthy.

Meanwhile, I have a .308 to wring out, and of all things, a 6.8 SPC that I grow fonder of every time I shoot it.