Originally Posted by kwg020
The October 2018 Handloader has an article by John Barness where he researches some M1 Garand loads with various powders. He listed 48 grains of Varget with a 150 grain Winchester Power Point. The listed 3 shot group is .88". That is the load I use in my 1903A3. I will say I have shot at paper and I found the load to be accurate. I just shot and didn't pay much attention to group size other than I can see where John got a .88 group. That load was nicely accurate in my 1903. I have yet to shoot it in one of my Garands.

kwg

I have since shot this load in 2 of my Garands. I did bump it up to 48.4 grains just to get it over 2700 fps. I shot it at the same time I was shooting some HXP ammo I got from the CMP. The recoil from the 48.4 grains of Varget was slightly less than the recoil from the HXP and did not throw the brass as far as the HXP. The accuracy was similar. I do not have a chrono so I don't know the exact speed of the 150 grain Hornady FMJ. All in all I think it's a great load and I will try and dial in the accuracy at some point in the future. I know that Varget is difficult to find right now so I have considered trying IMR4320 or Accurate 2520.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.