Originally Posted by Bill in NE
Just thinking about the possibility of rebarreling a No. 1 , I think it is a Tropic Heavy barrel. . Chambered currently in 458 Win Mag.
So it has the larger diameter barrel.

Wondering if pursuing a caliber change to something more pleasant would even be practical.

The receiver is engraved and personalized and very special to me. I would love to utilize this rifle much more. Just not a huge fan of the 458.

Thoughts??

The only potentially difficult thing with a #1 is the scope mounts on the barrel on a quarter rib or, with the varmint model, blocks. Matching the barrel contour to the mounting system can be a little tricky. If you're staying with the same barrel contour, no problem, have the 'smith take the barrel off and send it in to the barrel maker for an exact profile match. If you are changing profiles, then there may be some additional fitting to do as well as having to get a new quarter rib if the barrel is of smaller diameter than the original. The extractor for a caliber changes is easy-peasy, or was, just order one from Ruger for the family of cartridges you want to shoot.

One thing I'd think about .. what do you want that is easier to shoot? I almost bought a #1 in .458 with the idea of shooting cast bullets and black powder. A 2-1/2 inch case is a 2-1/2 inch case. .45-70 is 2.1" so 2.5" should put you in there around .45-90 to .45-100. Nothin' wrong with that for clobbering deer, elk, etc.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...