I think that a lot of people confuse an aiming device with a telescope. If one doesn’t dial, the most important thing in a scope is durability and ability to hold zero. Like anything else in life, different requirements demand different features and the importance of those features varies by requirement. So, if you’re competition shooting at long range, other factors and requirements apply.

I like nice stuff. I thought about buying a Blaser, I may yet still. On the other hand, for many years my main rifle was a Husqvarna 98 30-06 in a Basner stock with a Weaver Grandslam 4.75. It was accurate enough. It was bullet proof. It was dead simple. I could reliably hit anything I wanted out to about 400 yards. I would have taken that rifle anywhere and hunted pretty much anything without being limited by my equipment. Got the scope on sale for less than $200. Paid $350 for the rifle and about $250 for the stock. I bedded it myself. Less than $1000 for the whole rig.

Once again, nothing wrong with spending more. Spend as much as you like. On the other hand, recognize that in most cases it’s simply because you want to and not because you need to. It’s the same reason my wife drives an Escalade instead of a Yukon. She wants the Cadillac. She doesn’t need it and it offers nothing something cheaper wouldn’t do just as well but she wants it.

Last edited by JoeBob; 10/21/20.