Originally Posted by Switch
Why does everyone love the 280 AI?

The problem is that some of we 280 Ackley lovers make outlandish claims of the performance levels of the 280 AI that stretch credulity. From my perspective, it outdoes the 280 (which I love) and approaches the 7 Mag (which I love). It provides 30-06-like (which I love) performance with higher BC bullets. It accomplishes this with less recoil than the 7 Mag and 30-06. It seriously reduces brass trimming needs. Approaching the 7 Mag; but, never catching it no matter what any AI fans tell you, it does so with another round in the mag, with less powder, less noise and less recoil. Does any of that make it better than any of the others? To many people, yes. To many others, no. It's an interesting and effective round that has a lot going for it. You know? Like many other cartridges.

Originally Posted by Switch
Why not just go to the 7MM Remington or Weatherby?

More noise, more powder, more recoil and less rounds in the magazine. However, if the goal is to get 7 Mag/Weatherby speeds, it makes absolutely no sense to lean on a 280 Ackley to try to get there. If that is one's goal, then one should get a 7 Mag/Weatherby. The big, and valid, argument for the anti-280 AI crowd has always been that one can load a 7 Mag down to 280 Ackley levels. We can't overcome that argument. It addresses every point I made above about the appeal of the 280 Ackley with the exception of one extra in the magazine.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ