I am looking for a warm vest to replace the military surplus vest I have used for years. I know this question has been asked previously but I am asking again as am looking for products currently available.

I enjoy the benefits of down but most of my camping and hunting seems to involve cold, wet weather so lean heavily toward favoring a synthetic insulation. I would consider one of the weatherproofed down products.

As an example, Iooked at the KUIU super down vest and thought it would be perfect EXCEPT there is about 3 tablespoons of down in the whole vest. I am sure it would pack into a shot glass and weighs nothing but it clearly does not have enough insulation for my needs, particularly when you factor in what it costs. I am sure that it works great as part of their "clothing system" to sell to guys who like to have their camo match.

Any recommendations are appreciated, I favor durability over ultra light weight and am happy to pay good money for good gear so it does not need to be military surplus but am happy to use inexpensive stuff if it works well.

Thank you.

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning