Okay so last year I ordered a trigger from a very reputable trigger company for my Winchester model 70 extreme weather SS that I have had for 11 years (I don't want to say what company makes this trigger, but it's a very nice trigger that a lot of people use). I had the trigger company set the trigger at 2.5 pounds for me before they shipped it, and it worked great for the last year or so. I probably put 100 rounds through it, give or take, no issues. A few months ago when I had the gun taken apart in my garage, I decided to try the trigger at 2 pounds instead of 2.5. I adjusted it, used loc-tite on the little trigger pound adjustment screw like how it was when shipped to me, tightened the nut, and put it all together (I did NOT adjust any of the other screws on the trigger, just the screw for pull weight). I verified the pull weight was 2 pounds with my pull weight scale and called it good. I then put around 30 rounds through it while at the range, no problems. It shot great, felt normal, etc, just like when it was at 2.5 pounds.

Fast forward to today and I am checking over the gun for deer season, cleaning it, etc. I rack the bolt and pull the trigger (no ammo in the gun, not even a snap cap which I usually have in the gun) and the trigger did not move. I look down and the trigger had "fired" when I closed the bolt. I did it a few more times and the faster I worked the bolt, the more often it did the same thing. If I worked the bolt slow, no problems. Needless to say I was concerned that simply working the bolt was making the trigger go off.

I don't want to blame the trigger because 1.) It could very well be my fault this happened and 2.) The trigger worked just fine at 2.5 and frankly, at 2 pounds up until today. By "up until today" I am talking about normal speed, working the bolt at the range. Just your average speed.

But my question is, what do you supposed caused it to "go off" when I work the bolt fast? I did not clean the bolt today so no changes to that. And when I say fast, I mean fast as in, you shoot a deer and you immediately work the bolt to put another round in the chamber to get a possible second shot off. In other words, real world, normal fast.

I took the rifle apart again after this happened, put the trigger weight up to 2.75 pounds to be safe (based on my trigger pull scale) and so far, no issues after using a snap cap and working the bolt 60 times or so this afternoon. I tried really working it super fast and so far, it's okay. I tried it with no snap cap and it is still okay.

I thought, well maybe I adjusted it to low... But, this trigger is SUPPOSED to be adjustable down to 1.5 pounds, so even after I adjusted it to 2 pounds, it should still have been okay and within normal ranges of adjustment. The loc-tite I put on it after I adjusted it a few months ago kept that little nut snug, so it did not get loose over the last few months/30 rounds or so.

What do you guys think happened? The only conclusion I can come up with is 2 pounds is too low for this trigger, despite it stating on the website it should be able to go to 1.5 pounds.... I usually post in this forum but if I need to move this post, please advise.
Thank you