Originally Posted by Morewood

Our little woodshed holds maybe 4 cords. Darn near burned to the ground in a forest fire last month.

We also came close to losing our house and everything around us last month on Labor Day when that big East wind event hit the western US. The fire ( Holiday Farm fire - 173,000 + acres burned) was moving fast towards our area quickly. It traveled 18-20 miles within about a day and came within (2) miles of our place on the ridge above us. Our home was in a level 3 evacuation within 12 hours of the fire starting 20 miles away. It destroyed a couple of towns E of us in no time. After all the work I have put into our place, we would have been heartbroken if it wiped it all out.

We were on vacation in Utah and Idaho when it started. Have friends and a lot of other people we know that lost everything. Thankfully there was only one fatality in our big fire here, and it is by grace that there was not more that perished. A bunch of people stepped up and helped get people out. Even though we are thankful to have ours still standing, we feel terrible for those that were not as fortunate. The destruction in that area and in the woods around it is incredible. It will not look the same in my lifetime ( I am 61). Fire is amazing what it can do. But I do enjoy a nice contained, controlled fire every night in these cold months.