Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by aalf
My setup is 4 lbs, 4 ozs, but a tad more money than the DG:

Forgot to ask you. Do you have any thoughts on the utility of a cradle/clamp vs a ball head w/ Arca rail? Obviously, most any rifle works in the clamp.

Jordan answered it pretty well, but I'll add a little......

A buddy and I did some farting around trying different things, mostly by testing deflection on a target at distance.

An arca rail with a leveling base is about the most stable with the least deflection. The downside is having to attach a rail to your stock, or multiple stocks, and depending on where it's bolted, can be in the way for carrying.

Not far behind, is the tripod with a leveling base, with the hog saddle on top. The leveling base will cover most "normal" situations for angles up & down. Most of the deflection comes from the rubber padding in the saddle. Really a non event in a hunting scenario.

My setup in the picture has the most deflection, but again, it's really a non event for hunting. Mine isn't tall enough to use standing, but I didn't want that anyway, as I bought it mainly for calling coyotes. I set the ballhead friction so the gun stays in place, but can still be easily moved in any/all directions to take a shot. I still have a habit of tightening the ballhead just when a coyote stops before taking the shot. Typically I have the gun pretty snug in the saddle, and pulled in tight with the right hand, and the left on the friction knob for quick adjustment if needed for a followup.