Originally Posted by beretzs
I wanted to put some pictures up for you all and write a quick one on our hunt. The Old Goat, my little brother (Jake), Joel, Matt and I drew tags for Wyoming's general elk hunt this year. It is a pretty danged coveted tag by me since I love the bull hunt and only get to draw it about once a year. Anyhow, as with all good hunts, we prepared a pile of camp food at home, my brother drove down from NY and him and I departed from Va to get to Wyoming to scout a bit before the opener.

We got into Wyoming first and set up camp which consisted of the old Cabelas tent, little woodstove and some other pieces of essential camp gear.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Anyhow, we scouted around some of the places I'd been in before that have held elk, but the few days before the opener were horrendous with wind. 40 MPH and some larger gusts that were non stop.

Bill showed up with his rig and we all started doing what we usually do, which is try to find some elk. Bill, like a wapiti sniffing bloodhound, found a good bunch of elk fairly close to where we were camping, so that was his first place of attack. Jake and I decided to give it a go up at Bill's Tree. We named the tree this quite a few years ago, since rarely will you sit and glass there and not find elk.

Anyhow, the opener had us in these two places. Jake and I up at Bill's Tree, while Joel and Bill went to the area he'd found elk the day before.

Bill was the first one of us to get on elk and crushed a good cow at 266 yards with his 280 Ackley and a 160 Accubond. Jake and I had no idea, but Jake mentioned he heard a shot near where they were supposed to be hunting.