Originally Posted by markopolo50
This is a gun for sale on GB. I have been in contact with the seller and he says it's on consignment. I passed along the information pacecars told me along with the actual length of a 45/70. I am sure now that the gun was originally a 45/70 and was rechambered and restamped to the 45/110. He said he was going to call Shilo Sharps and verify the caliber. BTW, could you shoot a 45/70 out of that gun? Would it be like shooting a 22 short out of a gun designated 22short, 22 long and 22 long rifle? Of course, with a little bit more recoil, smile

You could fire a 45-70 cartridge in that rifle, but accuracy is going to suck big time, and if done very much you are quite likely to gas cut/ruin the chamber and throat. It is nothing like a 22 short in a long rifle chamber, the difference in case length alone is 7/8 of an inch.
If you're considering buying that rifle, you should first do due diligence and find some 110 cases, or get your name in line with Shiloh to send it to them to have it rebarreled if you don't want to use it as a 110.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com