I am my no stretch of the imagination a shotgun-guy. I was totally ignorant of the 870 AP models, until yesterday.
But, I picked up a 16 gauge Reminding 870 AP the other day in a firearms store. I was quite surprised at the “lively” feel of this shotgun.
Even as a kid, I don’t recall seeing the round forend 870’s.
I don’t own an original Model 12 Winchester, but have used a few and handled a few. I always like the feel / handling of the ones with the round forend.
Anyways this old shotgun had a great feel to me.

————————————————————————————

Originally Posted by model70man
Originally Posted by 300_savage
I believe, but am not completely sure, that all early Remington 870s wiere built on a 12 gauge frame. The 20, first built on a 12 frame, later came out in a lightweight on it's own frame size. Eventually all 20s were transitioned to the newer, smaller frame. To the best of my knowledge, all 16 gauge 870s were on the 12 gauge frame size, and the one that belongs to a friend of mine, though a nice shotgun, is only trimmer than a 12 in the barrel and magazine tube.

I have a 1951 20 gauge 870 and a 1953 16 gauge 870, both in mint condition. Both are on 12 gauge frames and I believe the serial numbers have an "X" prefix. I much prefer them over the later 870s with the gigantic oversize forearms no matter what frame size the later guns are based on.