I've been considering getting more serious about bird hunting and found the legit bird areas in my state are 2 to 2.5 hours drive. That's not very far, but for me, it is a lot of driving to go several times a week. When I say "serious about bird hunting," I'm not talking about a couple weekends during the season. I work 11AM to 7PM so I like to go out for a few hours in the morning, but driving 4 or 5 hours round trip wastes that. I've been going out locally but birds are scarce. If I got a dog or two I'd want to be working them on birds pretty regularly year-round. Should I move or plan on driving on the weekends?

I drive three or four times farther for big game, but will probably make a 10 day trip out of it so it's worth it. 10 days on birds every year is not enough.

How far do you go to get on birds on a regular/weekly basis? I'm not asking what's the farthest you've driven or how far you drive once or twice a year, but if you're getting on birds on a regular basis are you doing it just down the road or driving a ways?