Continued...

Essential and not essential. Machetes and Fiskars clippers are definitely essential all the time deer/elk hunting on the coast.

Both are lightweight and easily strapped to my pack. They also provide anger management relief whacking the shît outta anything in my way.

You don’t know “pissed and frustrated” until you have been tripped up by low vegetation going down a mountain or worse, trying to come up out of a hole with freighter of meat on your back that is littered in coastal boot snagging traps.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Again....ESSENTIAL!

Clothing...It’s subjective for sure and depends on the type of hunts you do...My hunts are a mix of heavy activity, hiking up and down to get into an area to hunt, then sit a glass for minutes to many hours with little movement. I’m being rained on, crushed by wind at times, hail, and even sun and mild temperatures in the low 50’s.

After too many years of wearing 1980’s military style pants that are a cotton blend. I finally ventured out into the world of high-tech hunting clothes. Yep, wished I’d done that sooner.

There is a lot of choices available. KUIU, Sitka, Kryptek, First-Lite to name a small few. I went primarily with Sitka gear with a several specialty pieces from First-Lite and Kryptek.

I found immediate relief from being weighted down being soaked to the bone wearing my military pants. Gone was the tiresome lifting of a wet, heavy pant leg trying to jump or crawl over logs and stumps.

It actually felt weird wearing Sitka pants at first. It was like being in nylon pajamas with a feeling of no protection from strikes from Devils Thorns and spiked vines. The fabric is tough stuff. It resists thorn pokes, keeps you drier by shedding water, it’s a lot lighter than other cotton/blend old school hunting pants and I could lift my legs higher to clear obstacles. Warrior Mountain Ninja had arrived.

Old school Military pants. While they are hard-core tough they have too many disadvantages over the newer hunting clothes.
I still wear them for p-dog and other types of warm weather Varmint hunts.

Old School -

Sitka...Notice the small rips and tears. These pants have seen some hunting.

Coats, jackets, vests...For me, I like and want lightweight clothes that are water proof or resistant, strong, not prone to shredding from thorns and stickers, but more importantly WIND PROOF.

I can handle wet. I can handle soaking wet. But I hate being either with cutting wind tearing out my organs. That’s miserable and I’ve been miserable a lot of years on some hunts.

Simple solution. I bought some good stuff and it wasn’t that expensive. The purple drank camo coat from Kryptek was like $299. I bought it, hunted it, loved it and looked at them again later on-line. The same coat was now $99.00 plus shipping. I bought two more at that price.

It’s lightweight, quiet, 100% water proof has Thinsulate so it’s warm. It even breathes and shîtty burrs don’t stick to it.

A solid garment for coastal hunting.

Sitka vest. Wind proof, rain resilient and lightweight. When I got this vest I thought it sure is light and flimsy. Probably gonna suck. Nope, love it. It’s always my final layer. Definitely a keeper.

Rain Pants...WTF is it with high priced rain pants that work for a while then fail? Or, they eventually soak up water then start feeling like your carrying a bucket of rainwater on each leg?

I got some expensive stuff hanging in the hunting closet that hasn’t seen a hunt in years.

A hunting pard showed up one elk season with these Flecktarn German Military rain pants he bough for $19 bucks at some surplus store. The Germans came up with their own version of our Gore-Tex.

He loved them. I tried a pair the next year and I’ve never used anything else for rain pants. 100% water proof, taped seams, zippered boot sides, suspenders with pass-thru pockets and they don’t get shredded by thorns and sticker strikes. Hard core German Mil stuff...Now a pair runs around $29 bucks.

Continued....Hopefully with a bull or two. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”