Inspired by Phil's Old Ugly saga, I seem to be gaining new repect for my version of Ugly.

This 1978 vintage Pre-Safety 1895, 45-70 was a project many moons ago. It's been in the safe, not getting much respect or use. That's fixing to change.

Back in the day, I took off the top of the factory stock with a table saw, glued a slab of wood to create a cheek piece and higher comb. I painted it with Brownell's Wrinkle paint for a good grip. That paint goes on with a rattle can, wrinkles as it dries. Well, over the years the wrinkles have worn thin from handling. It's never been pretty, but with the wear and tear on the Wrinkle paint, it's gotten even uglier.

The 4200 2.5-10x40 is a really good scope. All up as shown, without ammo, it weighs 8#'s, 13 oz, not light, but who wants a featherweight 45-70? I don't. Fully loaded, the weight will go up a bit.

I had done some work on the trigger and it's a clean, smooth 4#'s. Now. would $100 invested in a Wlld West trigger be worth bringing it down to 3#'s or less? Maybe. I have another 1895, Cowboy 45-70, with one and it's really nice. But with a hunting gun, heavy hitting ammo on a cold day, 4#'s may be OK.

I've gotten it out of the safe, am fixing to work up some loads, including cast. I remember it liking the 300 gr. Hornady, but there are other options to explore, Loony stuff for sure.

BTW, this gun has one of the slickest, smoothest 1895 actions I've ever handled. It's even smoother than my 45-70 Cowboy with the Wild West trigger and a CAS action job before I got it.

Pretty is as pretty does.... cool

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]