1. My half octagon serial #10.449 has an 1895 forearm. Savage didn't throw away leftover parts. We've documented this many times.
2. My 99H 300 Sav has a 22" barrel with the barrel band partially obscuring the barrel address. A number of others have been observed with the barrel address partially obscured including some 99H's in other calibers. In the case of the 99H 300 it was only produced in 1940/41 when most models were being discontinued. Savage may have been using up leftover 99T barrels.
3. Kiwi and I each have leftover 1895 carbines that left the factory mid-1899. Both have had the barrels shortened to 20" and have an 1899 bolt. My carbine letters as having left the factory in June 1899. It was shipped to Canada. There has been some talk on the forum that these leftovers were exported.
4. The wood condition not matching the condition of the bluing makes the rifle suspect and the fact that no one has ever seen another 1899 carbine in this condition also makes it suspect. Serial numbers on the forearm, buttstock and buttplate will tell the story.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]