Originally Posted by Uncle_Alvah
Theres something missing in that story.

You cannot get a 1911 to fire by hitting the hammer. Its an inertia firing pin. With the hammer all the way against the firing pin stop, the pin does not even reach th primer.

Even if he thumbed the hammer a bit, no way it had sufficient energy with that short a fall. If he thumbed it further the safety notch would have caught it. Even if was at full cock the holster should have protected the trigger. .

I'm not saying the story is total BS, but I don't think for a moment that story is complete as told. No offense intended to anyone.

Yea, somethings missing.

I'm guessing it was actually cocked, and he got his finger inside the trigger guard.

Perhaps earlier in the day he drew his gun, and didn't fire it. Once the suspect controlled, in all the excitement, he holstered it with the hammer still cocked, so some variant of this.

Once he's off shift, he reached down to removed the now cocked, but not locked, gun, and......

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell